10 Common Metal Roofing Problems and How to Fix Them
Metal roofing problems can include corrosion, leaks, wind damage, hail damage, expansion and contraction, punctures and tears, oil canning, improper installation, poor ventilation, and fading and discoloration. SRS Roofers identify 10 Common Metal Roofing Problems and guide How to Fix Them.
If you’re experiencing any of these common metal roofing problems, it’s important to address them as soon as possible to avoid further damage to your roof. One solution is to hire a reliable roofing contractor, such as SRS Roofers, to assess the situation and provide a professional repair or replacement service.
Metal roofing problems
- Leaks: Leaks can occur around vents, chimneys, and other openings on the roof. They can be fixed by applying sealant around the affected areas or replacing damaged flashing.
- Wind damage: High winds can cause metal roofing panels to lift or even become detached from the roof. This problem can be prevented by ensuring that the panels are installed properly and securely.
- Hail damage: Hail can cause dents and punctures in metal roofing panels. If damage occurs, the affected panels should be replaced to prevent further damage.
- Expansion and contraction: Metal roofing panels can expand and contract with temperature changes, causing the fasteners to loosen and the panels to shift. This problem can be prevented by using the proper fasteners and allowing for proper ventilation in the attic space.
- Punctures and tears may happen due to dropping a heavy object on the roof or walking on the roof improperly. To repair them, one can patch the affected area with a metal patch or replace the damaged panel.
- Oil canning can occur on metal roofing panels, resulting in a wavy appearance. To prevent it, one can use panels with stiffening ribs or a thicker gauge of metal.
- Improper installation can result in a variety of problems such as leaks, wind damage, and panel distortion. To avoid these issues, it is important to have a qualified professional install your metal roof.
- Poor ventilation can lead to moisture buildup in the attic space, which can cause mold and rot. Installing vents in the roof or using a ridge vent can provide proper ventilation.
- Fading and discoloration can occur over time due to exposure to the sun and weather.
- If corrosion does occur, one can treat it by removing the affected area and applying a rust inhibitor.
How SRS Fixes10 Common Metal Roofing Problems
As a professional roofing contractor, SRS Roofers has the knowledge and experience to address these problems and provide effective solutions. For example, if corrosion is present, SRS Roofers can remove the affected area. It can apply a rust inhibitor to prevent further damage. If leaks are occurring, SRS Roofers can apply sealant around the affected areas or replace damaged flashing. As well as install vents or ridge vents to address poor ventilation.
In cases of hail or wind damage, SRS Roofers can assess the damage and provide necessary repairs or replacements to damaged panels. Additionally, SRS Roofers can properly install metal roofing panels to prevent improper installation issues. It can recommend high-quality coatings and paint systems to prevent fading and discoloration over time.